Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Still

A rare west coast snowfall - the kind that blankets the world like a feather quilt and stops school, schedules, and traffic. I am walking outdoors, reveling in the swirling flakes when I notice it.

photo by Kmax
       “It’s so still”, I whisper, “So blissfully still. How I’ve missed this deep quiet.”

It wasn’t just the lack of noise. It was the sense that all was rooted and resting, in balance with the season, taking pause.

photo by Leigh Hilbert
In my busy life of doing and our world of constant buzz, I had begun to think the stillness had vanished. Yet on this snowy morning, my cells remembered how it feels to connect calmly and fully with the natural world around us: expansive, energized, relaxed, open, and at ease.

photo by Leigh Hilbert
The stillness is still here. Somewhat frayed around the edges by the ways our wireless communications technologies interfere with the earth’s electrical and magnetic fields, but miraculously – the stillness is still here.

photo by Leigh Hilbert
The next day, as the snow was melting I reflected on what else in my life generates this sense of cellular connection: holding stones, touching trees, swimming in rivers, walking in the forest, putting my hands in the dirt.

photo by Kmax
It seems I need nature now to ground my body, reboot my nervous system, and electrically re-balance my brain.

Why? I am susceptible to the electromagnetic fields created by WiFi, cell phones, dirty electricity, and all the digital technologies that are the new norm. As I observe the frequently stressed and frantic world around me, I suspect I am not alone.

My wish for all of us this holiday season is that we experience the joyful calm of winter’s stillness - our own silent night - and that we begin to understand how the technology we choose to use shapes our lives and affects all beings.

Yes, nature is resilient. And still, a core part of me longs for the deep peace of the earth’s frequencies, uninterrupted.


For more on nature, humans, and technology, take a few moments to watch my seasonal gift to you, a piece called Cellular Deception which combines Leigh’s wildlife photography with my music.



For those who are curious, here are some specifics on how I choose to navigate the digital age:
  • I have a powered off, emergency-only iPhone without a service plan in my car in case I am on the road and have to call 911. All other calls are made with a corded landline.
  • We use secure, wired high-speed internet at home. The WiFi is always turned off.
  • We don’t use cordless DECT phones or any smart, Bluetooth, or wireless devices.
  • Our forced-upon-us smart meter is shielded, with its radio frequency transmitter turned off.
  • I use a wired keyboard and mouse with my laptop to minimize my contact with its field.
  • My device of choice is an iPod – always in airplane mode, always switched off when not in use.This gives me the perks of a smart phone without the problems.
At night, we turn the breakers off in our bedroom to give our bodies a chance to rest, regenerate, and “Sleep in heavenly peace.”

No comments: